Morning Brief: April 10
The famed cherry blossoms in our nation’s captial are at “peak bloom” right now (as reported by this site with beautiful pictures). It’d be a great weekend for a road trip down South, but if you can’t make it out of the City, the cherry blossoms at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden are due to bloom any day now.
NEED TO KNOW
Obama says concerned China Bullying Others in South China Sea [Reuters].
Texas Executes its Fifth Convicted Killer This Year [NYDN].
With Break-In, Seeking to Change Locks and Leadership at New York Korean Group [NY Times].
Hundreds of U.S. Airport Perimeter Breaches Over Past Decade, says AP Report [WFUV News, via AP].
DA Probing Cowboys’ Owner’s Contract for One World Trade Center Observation Deck [WCBS].
Mets beat Washington 6-3
Yankees lost to Toronto 6-3
Rangers fell to Ottawa 3-0
Devils lost to Tampa Bay 4-3
Yankees host the Red Sox, 7:00
Mets play in Atlanta, 7:35
Just one more day of clouds, and rain, we promise! 63/50 [full forecast].
ON STAGE TONIGHT
• Shawn Colvin (with Rebecca Pronsky) @ the Sanctuary Concerts
• Jose Gonzalez (with Olof Arnalds) @ Webster Hall
• Cassandra Wilson @ the Apollo Theater
• “Wesley Stace’s Cabinet Of Wonders” featuring Southside Johnny, Josh Rouse and more @ City Winery
• Pure Prairie League, Firefall and Atlanta Rhythm Section @ the Bergen Performing Arts Center
• Lou Gramm @ the Union County Performing Arts Center at Rahway
• Philip Selway (with Adem) @ Le Poisson Rouge
• Zappa Plays Zappa @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
• Duke Robillard @ Iridium
• The Johnny A. Band and The James Montgomery Band @ Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
• Martin And Eliza Carthy @ the Folk Music Society of New York
• Jesse Harris With Star Rover @ Rockwood Music Hall
• Rhonda Vincent And The Rage @ the Emelin Theatre
• Willis Alan Ramsey (with Alison Rogers) @ Rockwood Music Hall (Tonight and tomorrow)
• WFUV PRESENTS: Citizen Cope @ the State Theatre
TOMORROW (Saturday the 11th):
• Citizen Cope @ the Paramount
• Diamond Rugs (with New Madrid and Justin Collins) @ Brooklyn Bowl
• Sufjan Stevens with Cold Specks @ the Beacon Theatre
• Jesse Malin with Steve Wynn And The Miracle Three (and Trapper Schoepp) @ the Bowery Ballroom
• OK Go @ Terminal 5
• Jonathan Edwards and John Ford Coley @ the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
• The Mountain Goats with Stephen Brodsky @ City Winery (Tomorrow and Sunday)
• WFUV PRESENTS: Shawn Colvin @ Zankel Hall at Carnegie Hall
• WFUV PRESENTS: Stars (with Verite) @ Webster Hall
SUNDAY (the 12th):
• Stevie Wonder @ Barclays Center
• David Bromberg And Larry Campbell with Freebo @ Roulette Theater
• The Pat Travers Band (with 100 Watt Suns) @ Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
• The Kennedys and Caroline Doctorow @ the University Café at Stony Brook University
• Alice Smith @ the Bowery Ballroom
• Jolie Holland will open for Gregory Alan Isakov @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1925, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was first published in New York City, by Charles Scribner's Sons.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.