Morning Brief: August 28
Today’s the first day back to school from summer break for hundreds of thousands of CUNY students. The City University of New York system includes 24 schools and is the third biggest higher-ed system in the nation after SUNY and the UC system. Maybe the next Jonas Salk or Jerry Seinfeld is starting today—all CUNY grads.
More sun, but a bit cooler, high of 84, low of 61 [full forecast].
NEED TO KNOW
Secret Service, others investigates calls of cyber attacks on US Banks [Reuters].
Uber starts attack ads against rideshare foe Lyft [WNYC].
A 9 year-old lost control of a machine ge gun at a shooting range and killed her instructor in Arizona [NY Times].
Yankees score all their runs in the 3rd inning to defeat Detroit 8-3. They finish the series today at 1.
Mets fell to Atlanta 3-2. They close their home series today at 7.
ON STAGE TONIGHT
· Booker T @ the Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
· Ralph Stanley And The Clinch Mountain Boys (with Diana Jones) @ City Winery
· Kings Of Leon with Young The Giant and Kongos @ the PNC Bank Arts Center
· The Reigning Sound with Naomi Shelton And The Gospel Queens and The Above @ Bowery Ballroom
· Pat Benatar And Neil Giraldo @ the State Theatre
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1963, the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. gives his I Have a Dream speech at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.