Morning Brief: August 7
Forty years ago today, Philippe Petit performed a high wire act between the two towers of the World Trade Center.
The story of how Petit got there, 1,368 feet in the air, was told brilliantly in a 2008 documentary Man on Wire. What better day to watch it? After all, it has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Looking at a beautiful sunny day, high of 84, low of 66 tonight [full forecast].
NEED TO KNOW
President Obama speaks of trying to work with Congress and more [ABC News].
The Ebola scare is over in NYC, for now [NY Daily News].
Young New Yorkers do a “mock police academy” while the NYPD faces some community relations issues [WFUV News].
Met fell to Washington 7-1. They finish up the series with a day game at 12:35
Yankees defeated Detroit 5-1. They also finish up early tomorrow with a game at 1.
ON STAGE TONIGHT
· Billy Joel @ Madison Square Garden
· Old 97s (with Madison King) @ Brooklyn Bowl
· Future Islands, Omar Souleyman, Operators and Mas Ysa @ the House of Vans
· Temples (with Here We Go Magic and Spires) @ “Riverrocks” at Pier 84 in Hudson River Park
· Kenny Loggins @ the Bergen Performing Arts Center
· Buster Poindexter @ City Winery
· The Romantics, The Smithereens, Marshall Crenshaw and Tommy Tutone @ the Mayo Performing Arts Center
· The Jerry Douglas Band (with John Reid) @ the Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
· The Funky Meters @ the New Jersey Performing Arts Center’s Theater Square
· Modest Mouse (with Mimicking Birds) @ the Starland Ballroom
· Donavon Frankenreiter (with Tom Curren) @ the Bowery Ballroom
· WFUV PRESENTS: “Americanafest NYC” featuring Tift Merritt @ Lincoln Center Out of Doors at the David Rubenstein Atrium
· WFUV PRESENTS: Altan and Maura O’Connell @ “Celebrate Brooklyn!” at the Prospect Park Bandshell
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1927, the Peace Bridge opened between Fort Erie, Ontario and Buffalo, New York.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.