Morning Brief: February 6
For years, RadioShack has been a trusty electronics chain for nearly a century, but it looks like it's time has finally run out. It's filed for bankruptcy after years of difficulty, particularly because of online shopping. Before this, they struck a deal with Sprint and the hedge fun General Standard. They bought a number of stores which look like they'll stay open, but all the stores left in the company's control will be closed.
NEED TO KNOW
France, Germany Try Diplomacy in Ukraine [Washington Post]
Fewer Top Graduates Want to Join Teacher America [New York Times]
NTSB Says Crashed Metro North Train Within Speed Limit with Working Warning Signs [CBS Local]
Michelle Obama Visits Upper West Side and Announces $500 Million to Keep Kids Fit [NY Daily News]
Problems Found with NYC 911 System [New York Times]
The Islanders beat the Flyers 3-2.
The Rangers are in Nashville tomorrow at 3 and play Dallas at home Sunday at 5.
The Islanders are in Boston tomorrow at 7 and Buffalo Sunday at 5.
The Devils play Toronto tonight at 7 and are in Quebec tomorrow at 7.
The Knicks play the Nets tonight at 7 and the Warriors tomorrow at 7:30.
The Nets are in DC tomorrow at 7.
Partly cloudy today, 30/21. [Full Forecast]
ON STAGE TONIGHT
TONIGHT (Friday the 6th):
- Chris Smither @ the Towne Crier Café
- Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
- The Robin Zander Band @ the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
- The Kennedys @ the Turning Point
- Max Creek @ the Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
- Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone @ the B.B. King Blues Club and Grill
- Peter Wolf And The Midnight Travelers @ City Winery (Tonight and tomorrow)
- Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe (FRI.: with Roosevelt Collier and Greg Humphreys Electric Trio SAT.: with Chuck Leavell Roosevelt Collier and Lions On The Moon) @ Brooklyn Bowl (Tonight and tomorrow)
- Bettye LaVette @ Café Carlyle (Tonight and tomorrow)
- WFUV PRESENTS: Christine Lavin and Don White @ the Emelin Theatre
TOMORROW (Saturday the 7th):
- Freedy Johnston (with Jessi Mason) @ the Purple Crayon
- The Commander Cody Band with Professor Louie And The Crowmatix @ the Towne Crier Café
- Ed Kowalczyk formerly of Live @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
- Howard Fishman @ the Common Ground Coffeehouse
- The Peter Karp Sue Foley Band @ the Turning Point
- WFUV PRESENTS: Jason Isbell with Damien Jurado @ the Beacon Theatre
- WFUV PRESENTS: “On Your Radar” hosted by John Platt, featuring Spuyten Duyvil, Toby Walker and Carsie Blanton @ Landmark On Main Street
SUNDAY (the 8th):
- Rod MacDonald @ the Turning Point
- Ari Hest (with Leslie Mendelson) @ City Winery
- “Songwriter’s Circle” hosted by Jake Holmes featuring Julie Gold, Trevor Exter and Eva Rubin @ the Towne Crier Café
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1952, Princess Elizabeth was crowned Queen Elizabeth III. She's still on the throne today as one of the longest ruling monarchs in England.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.