Morning Brief: March 12
One year ago today, a gas explosion in East Harlem killed eight and injured more than 70. A ceremony is planned for this morning with the Mayor and City Council Speaker. Con Edison, the company managing the gas delivery in East Harlem, has been aggressively campaigning for gas safety since, like with this mailer.
NEED TO KNOW
Feds Prepared to Reopen all Sandy Insurance Claims [NPR via WFUV News].
Mother Urges Cuomo to Order Special Prosecutor’s Office [AP via WFUV News].
Heastie: Policy is on the Table in Budget Talks [Albany Times-Union].
Ferguson Police Chief Resigns, Gets One Year of Pay [CNN].
Brazil, World’s Shower Champ, Grapples with Drought [NY Times].
Nets fell to Miami 104-98
Rangers topped Washington 3-1
Fordham Men’s Basketball topped George Mason 71-65 in the first round of the A10 Conference Tournament
Fordham continues in the A10 tournament against VCU, 2:30
Devils @ Colorado, 9:00
Cooler than yesterday, but not bad, all things considered. It’s sunny! 46/31 [full forecast].
ON STAGE TONIGHT
• Diana Krall @ the Capitol Theatre
• Alabama Shakes (with Songhoy Blues) @ the Beacon Theatre
• The Keb’ Mo’ Band @ the South Orange Performing Arts Center
• New Riders Of The Purple Sage @ the Towne Crier Café
• Citizen Cope @ City Winery
• Seth Avett And Jessica Lea Mayfield @ Town Hall
• G. Love And Special Sauce with Matt Costa @ Irving Plaza
• Soulive And The Shady Horns featuring Charles Bradley (with Wolf! featuring Scott Metzger) @ Brooklyn Bowl
• Moe. @ Le Poisson Rouge
• Cursive (with Beach Slang and John Congleton And The Nighty Nite) @ Saint Vitus
• Herb Alpert And Lani Hall @ Café Carlyle
• Big Bad Voodoo Daddy @ the B.B. King Blues Club and Grill
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1930, Mahatma Gandhi lead a 200-mile march, known as the Salt March, to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.