Morning Brief: March 27
Amid the chaos of yesterday's explosion in the East Village, New Yorkers weren't living up to their mean and rude stereotypes. Many could be seen helping victims of the explosion and subsequent fire, whether is was helping a woman down the fire escape latter, or steadying a person as she walked dazed away from the fire. New Yorkers really listened to the call to action.
NEED TO KNOW
Germanwings Plane Crash was Deliberate [Washington Post]
Ferguson Chief Takes Steps Urged in Report [New York Times]
Apparent Gas Leak Causes Explosion, Major Fire in East Village [NY Daily News]
Cuomo and Lawmakers Near Ethic Reforms Deal [New York Times]
NYCHA Faces Large Budget Gap [NY Daily News]
The Rangers beat the Senators 5-1
The Islanders lost to the Kings 3-2.
The Devils fell to the Capitals 3-2.
The Sweet Sixteen face off for March Madness.
The Knicks play the Celtics at 7 today and the Bulls tomorrow at 8.
The Nets play the Cavaliers today to 7:30 and Cavaliers Sunday at 3:30.
The Rangers face the Bruins tomorrow at 1 and the Capitals Sunday at 3.
The Islanders play the Ducks tomorrow at 1 and the Red Wings Sunday at 5.
The Devils go against the Hurricanes tomorrow at 7 and the Ducks Sunday at 7.
NYCFC plays Kansas City tomorrow at 7.
The Red Bulls face the Columbus Crew tomorrow at 7:30.
Still more rain during the day, stopping during the evening, 51/ 36. [Full Forecast]
ON STAGE TONIGHT
FRIDAY MARCH 27
- Leon Russell @ the South Orange Performing Arts Center
- The Pine Hill Project featuring Richard Shindell And Lucy Kaplansky plus Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams @ City Winery
- Diamond Rugs @ the Bowery Ballroom
- Shakey Graves with Nikki Lane @ Warsaw
- Tobias Jesso Jr @ Baby’s All Right
- Karla Bonoff @ the YMCA Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
- Susan Werner @ Outpost in the Burbs
- James Maddock @ the Union County Performing Arts Center at Rahway
- The Outlaws @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
- Angie Stone @ the B.B. King Blues Club and Grill
- Vinicius Cantuaria @ SubCulture
- Martin Hayes And Dennis Cahill @ the Highline Ballroom
- Tommy Castro And The Painkillers @ Mexicali Live
- Galactic @ the Best Buy Theater (Tonight and tomorrow)
- Debbie Harry @ Café Carlyle (Tonight and tomorrow)
- Budos Band @ Brooklyn Bowl (Tonight and tomorrow)
- The Levin Brothers @ Iridium (Tonight and tomorrow)
- The Moody Blues @ the NYCB Theatre at Westbury (Tonight, tomorrow and Sunday)
SATURDAY MARCH 28
- Bjork @ New York City Center
- 10,000 Maniacs @ the Long Island Aquarium and Exhibition Center
- Trigger Hippy @ the Capitol Theatre
- Shemekia Copeland Band @ the Towne Crier Café
- The Kennedys @ Common Ground Coffeehouse
- Milky Chance @ the Music Hall of Williamsburg
- Horse Feathers @ the Bowery Ballroom
- Honeyblood @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar
- Lisa Loeb And The Prescriptions @ the B.B. King Blues Club and Grill
- WFUV PRESENTS: Mary Gauthier and David Wilcox @ Landmark On Main Street
SUNDAY MARCH 29
- The Pine Hill Project featuring Lucy Kaplansky And Richard Shindell plus Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams @ Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
- Mary Gauthier and David Wilcox @ City Winery
- They Might Be Giants @ the Music Hall of Williamsburg
- James Maddock @ the University Café at Stony Brook University
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1884, the first long distance phone call was made, between New York and Boston.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@WFUVNews.org or leave a comment below.