UKNY on December 9
Stealing Sheep (photo by Simon Webb, PR)
Frosty out there, isn't it? On tonight's December chill edition of UKNY at 11, gamboling with Liverpool's Stealing Sheep, returning after a four year gap with a third album, Big Wows, due out in April. Also, You Tell Me, the duo of Field Music's Peter Brewis and Admiral Fallow's Sarah Hayes offer up another taste of their forthcoming self-titled debut.
And new releases from the Good, the Bad & the Queen, London's Mohit, Dublin's fiery Fontaines D.C., Southend's Beckie Margaret, and a languid ode to feminine ferocity via Sampa the Great, Zambian-born, Melbourne-based Sampa Tembo who is generating a lot of swoony buzz (and music awards) in Australia and beyond.
Tonight's show was pre-taped just before the passing of the Buzzcocks' Pete Shelley was announced, so I'll pay tribute to the punk-pop trailblazer next week.
Missed the show? Catch up to UKNY on your own time on demand in the Weekend Archives.
1. Kero Kero Bonito, “Swimming,” Time ‘n’ Place
2. Softer Still, “Continental Girl,” Nuances
3. Stealing Sheep, “Joking Me,” Big Wows
4. You Tell Me, “Water Cooler,” You Tell Me
5. IDLES, “Samaritans,” Joy as an Act of Resistance
6. (Dublin, Ireland) Fontaines D.C., “Too Real,” single
7. Mohit, “Discover Another,” single (b-side of “Racek”)
8. The Good, the Bad & the Queen, “Nineteen Seventeen,” Merrie Land
9. Beckie Margaret, “New York,” single
10. Tracey Thorn, “Tinsel and Lights,” Tinsel and Lights
11. Bill Laurance, “December in New York,” Live at Union Chapel
12. (Zambia-Melbourne, AU) Sampa the Great feat. Nadeem Din-Gabisi, “Energy,” single
13. (Auckland, NZ-Portland, OR, US) Unknown Mortal Orchestra, “Hunnybee,” Sex & Food
14. (Sydney, AU) Winston Surfshirt, “For the Record,” single