UKNY for January 13
Ibibio Sound Machine (photo by Dan Wilton, PR)
January is a month of gradual transitions in music — there's still so many good end-of-year releases to revisit while looking ahead to forthcoming albums too.
So on tonight's UKNY at 11, a little bit of both on this frigid night. We'll explore just-released 2019 offerings from London's Ibibio Sound Machine, UNKLE, the Chemical Brothers and Auckland's Tiny Ruins, balanced with late 2018 gems from Melbourne-based Sampa the Great, Liverpool's Stealing Sheep, and Ex:Re, the solo project from Daughter's Elena Tonra.
Missed the show? Listen on your own time, on-demand in the Weekend Archives.
1. Ibibio Sound Machine, “Tell Me (Doko Mien),” Doko Mien
2. Chemical Brothers, “MAH,” single
3. UNKLE (feat. Miink and Elliot Power), “Ar.Mour,” The Road: Part II/Lost Highway
4. Massive Attack, “Daydreaming,” Blue Lines
5. (Zambia-Melbourne, AU) Sampa the Great (feat. Nadeem Din-Gabisi), “Energy,” single
6. Ex:Re, “Romance,” Ex:Re
7. (Richmond, VA, US) Natalie Prass, “Wild Horses (Prefab Sprout cover),” single
8. Prefab Sprout, “Hey Manhattan!,” From Langley Park to Memphis
9. Stealing Sheep, “Joking Me,” Big Wows
10. (Auckland, NZ) Tiny Ruins, “School of Design,” Olympic Girls
11. Daniel Avery, “Diminuendo,” Diminuendo EP (and Song for Alpha)