2019 Summer Music Guide
Summer Music Guide (collage includes photos by Gus Philippas, Laura Fedele and Neil Swanson/WFUV)
You'll find us at all of these festivals and shows. If you see the WFUV table or tent, come by and say hello!
We were there to bring you live broadcasts on WFUV of the following:
- June 12 - The National at the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival (Review and audio)
- June 15 - Death Cab for Cutie with Jenny Lewis at Forest Hills Stadium (Death Cab for Cutie audio and reviews of both sets)
- June 21 - Calexico and Iron & Wine with Adia Victoria at the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival (Reviews of both, audio of Calexico and Iron & Wine)
- June 28 - Wilco and Courtney Barnett at the Solid Sound Festival (Reviews and audio)
Scroll through or jump down to:
- Afropunk Brooklyn
- American Roots Music Festival
- Battery Park City River & Blues Series
- BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival
- Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
- Forest Hills Stadium
- Great South Bay Music Festival
- Lincoln Center Out of Doors
- Newport Folk Festival
- The Rooftop At Pier 17
- Sea.Hear.Now. Festival
- Stone Pony Summerstage
- SummerStage in Central Park
Where: Commodore Barry Park
When: August 24-25
Highlights: Saturday: Leon Bridges, Gary Clark Jr., Jill Scott, Tank and the Bangas. Sunday: FKA Twigs, Kamasi Washington, Santigold, Lianne La Havas, Toro y Moi.
Where: Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts, Katonah, NY
When: July 27
Who: Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn.
FYI: Caramoor is family-friendly, has free parking, and is accessible by MetroNorth — with a free shuttle to and from the Katonah train station.
Where: Wagner Park, NYC
When: Select Thursdays through Aug 1, music starts around 7pm
FYI: Accessible via the 2,3,4,5,N,R,W, Q subway lines. Bring a blanket and some food, or stop on your way to pick up a bite and picnic with the Statue of Liberty as your backdrop.
- 7/18: Low Cut Connie
- 7/25: The War & Treaty
- 8/1: Amethyst Kiah
Where: Prospect Park Bandshell, Brooklyn, NYC
When: Now - Aug 10
Tickets: There is a suggested $5 donation for free shows. Entrance is granted on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached. Benefit concert tickets (*) can be purchased at bricartsmedia.org
FYI: Prospect Park is easily accessible via the F, G, 2, 3, B and Q subway lines. On-street parking can be difficult, although there are some garages in the area.
- 7/18: I'm With Her
- 7/25: Broken Social Scene
- *8/6: Mac DeMarco
- 8/9: “What's Goin’ On” Marvin Gaye Tribute feat: Felicia Collins, Toshi Reagon, Siedah Garrett, Kecia Lewis, and more
Where: Dodds Farm, Hillsdale, NY
When: Aug 2-4
FYI: Tickets range from $50 to $190, depending if you want to camp on the grounds and the number of days attended. Children under 12 attend for free!
Highlights : Martyn Joseph, Beth Nielsen Chapman, Stephen Kellogg and Crys Matthews, The Rowan Brothers, Nerissa & Katryna Nields and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams.
Where: Forest Hills, Queens, NYC
When: Now - Sep 14
Tickets: Between $40 and $100
FYI: Forest Hills Stadium is conveniently located near the LIRR and E, F, M and R subway lines. Look for the WFUV Clubhouse as you enter the stadium.
- 7/20: Weird Al Yankovic with Queens Symphony Orchestra
- 7/24: Elvis Costello & The Imposters and Blondie
- 8/1: The Chemical Brothers
- 8/2: Sarah McLachlan & The New York Pops
- 8/10: My Morning Jacket with Warpaint
- 8/17: Beck and Cage the Elephant with Spoon
- 9/7: Morrissey with Interpol
- 9/11: Outlaw Festival: Willie Nelson & Family / Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats / Alison Krauss / Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real
- 9/14: Ian Anderson Presents Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour
Where: Shorefront Park Patchogue, LI
When: July 18 - 21
FYI: Celebrating its 13th year, the festival features over 60 performers on 4 stages plus crafts, food and a Kids Zone.
Highlights: Thursday: Taking Back Sunday, Glassjaw, The Menzingers, Frank Iero and The Future Violents. Friday: Slightly Stoopid, SUBLIME WITH ROME, Common Kings, SOJA. Saturday: Pink Talking Fish. Sunday: America, WAR, Edgar Winter Band, “Taz” Niederauer, Blue Coupe.
Where: Lincoln Center, Damrosch Park Bandshell, NYC
When: July 24 - Aug 11
FYI: Getting to Damrosch Park is easy by taking either the 1, A, B, C, D trains to 59th Street–Columbus Circle or the 1 train to 66th Street–Lincoln Center.
- 7/26: Jeff Tweedy
- 7/27: “Look At My Soul: The Latin Shade of Texas Soul,” Lee Fields & The Expressions
- 7/31: NPR’s Turning The Tables Live feat: Rhiannon Giddens, Lizz Wright and more
- 8/1: Blood Orange
- 8/10-11: Roots of Americana Music Weekend - Saturday: Patty Griffin and Yola; Sunday: David Crosby and Anais Mitchell
Where: Fort Adams State Park, Newport, RI
When: July 26 - 28
Tickets: Tickets are all sold out for all 3 days.
FYI: If you’re at the festival, stop by the FUV booth, say hi, and pick up some swag!
Highlights: Friday: Amy Ray Band, I'm With Her, Kacey Musgraves, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Parker Millsap, Phil Lesh & The Terrapin Family Band, Sheryl Crow, Todd Snider, Yola, and of course 'The Future is Female,' a showcase hosted by our own Rita Houston. Saturday: Dawes and Friends, Jade Bird, Jeff Tweedy, Lucy Dacus, Maggie Rogers, Mountain Man, Rayland Baxter. Sunday: Courtney Marie Andrews, If I Had A Song, Lake Street Dive, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Trey Anastasio.
Where: Pier 17, South Street Seaport NYC
When: Now - Oct 11
FYI: Accessible via the 2,3,4,5,A,C subway lines. In South Street Seaport, one of NYC’s newest outdoor venues with amazing views.
- 7/24: Steve Miller Band and Marty Stuart
- 7/28: Sheryl Crow
- 8/1: Ben Folds / Violent Femmes
- 8/18: Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band
- 8/24: Squeeze
- 8/26 - 8/27: Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals and Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
- 9/14 - 9/15: Shakey Graves & Dr. Dog
- 10/11: Thievery Corporation
Where: Asbury Park, NJ
When: Sept 21-22
FYI: Stages on the beach (!) plus surfing competitions and a photo exhibit by our friend, photographer Danny Clinch.
Highlights: Dave Matthews Band, The Lumineers, St. Paul and the Broken Bones, The B-52s, Cat Power, Jade Bird.
Where: Asbury Park, NJ
When: Now - Aug 30
FYI: The legendary Stone Pony’s Summer Stage rocks with outdoor shows all season long. There's tons of parking in Asbury Park, and you can even hear the music from the beach.
- 7/28: The Flaming Lips and Claypool Lennon Delirium
- 8/1: John Butler Trio
- 8/2: Ben Folds / Violent Femmes
- 8/10: Dark Star Orchestra
Where: Central Park, NYC
When: Now - Sept 24
Tickets: Entrance is granted on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached. Concerts are free with the exception of tickets for the benefit concerts (*). Check online for SummerStage locations in parks throughout the five boroughs.
FYI: Check out the new Rumsey Playfield this year. SummerStage’s closest park entrance is 69th Street and 5th Avenue. Street parking is tough on the east side.
- *7/25: Kurt Vile and the Violators with Dinosaur Jr and Cate Le Bon
- 8/4: Corinne Bailey Rae / José James / DJ Natasha Diggs from Soul in the Horn
- *8/8: Guster / Rubblebucket
- *8/28: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
- *9/4: Tash Sultana
- *9/14: The Growlers
- *9/16: MARINA - Love + Fear Tour
- *9/20: Bloc Party performing Silent Alarm
- *9/24: The B-52s / OMD / Berlin