Morning Brief: March 10
The funeral for the late Cardinal Edward Egan, Archbishop of New York from 2000 to 2009, will be held today at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Manhattan. Mourners have been pouring in to pay their respects. Many shared kind words about the man. One, Greg Packer of Huntington, NY, remembered the Cardinal for his strength of hand.
“He had such a strong grip for a minister!” Packer said. “If he shook your hand, it would take it right off. He was that strong!"
The funeral will be held at 2:00 today, with the procession beginning at 1:30.
NEED TO KNOW
GOP Senators Write to Iran About Nuclear Deal [NY Times].
Apple Announces Golden Watch, HBO Partnership, and new Golden MacBook [NY Daily News].
Youth Hostels Could Soon Pop Up Around NYC [WFUV News].
Collision in North Carolina Between NY-Bound Truck, Tractor-trailer, Injures Dozens [NY1].
Pilots Say Brakes Didn’t Slow the Jet that Slid off Runway at LaGuardia [NY Times].
Knicks fell flat in Denver 106-78
Islanders topped Toronto, 4-3
Rangers take the LIRR to Nassau and take on the Islanders, 7:00
Nets host New Orleans, 7:30
Devils play in Minnesota, 8:00
Knicks play in Utah, 9:00
Warm again, but afternoon showers likely. 51/39 [full forecast].
ON STAGE TONIGHT
• ZZ Top @ the Bergen Performing Arts Center
• Herb Alpert And Lani Hall @ Café Carlyle
• Los Lonely Boys (with The Coordinates) @ City Winery
• “A Tribute To Jerry Garcia” featuring Steve Kimock plus Bobby Vega, Jeff Chimenti, Bill Vitt, Dan Lebowitz and John Morgan Kimock @ Highline Ballroom
• Cursive (with Beach Slang, John Congleton And The Nighty Nite) @ the Bowery Ballroom
• Jeff Mattson And Donna Jean Godchaux featuring Rob Barraco (with David MacKay and Tom Barraco) @ Mexicali Live
• Dropkick Murphys (with The Mahones, Blood Or Whiskey and Bryan McPherson) @ Irving Plaza
• Scott Weiland And The Wildabouts @ the Gramercy Theatre
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 2000, the Nasdaq Composite stock market index peaked at 5132.52, signaling the beginning of the end of the dot-com boom.
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.