UKNY For February 2
Sweden's Little Dragon (photo by Ellen Edmar, PR)
The music of the UK always aligns with the European Union on UKNY, an hour-long show that celebrates free artistic borders between Britain and the world. Tonight at 11, Gothenburg, Sweden's Little Dragon are back with the first taste of their forthcoming album, New Me, Same Us, which finds the spirited quartet, in their own words, finding "the courage to let go of our egos, and be pieces of something bigger."
The destructive nature of social media and a world in disarray has riled two-time Mercury Prize nominee Ghostpoet too, and he returns with plenty to say about it on his fifth album, I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep, which comes out on May 1. Also, two great guitarists, Anna Calvi and Courtney Barnett, have paired for a new-but-old Calvi track and Gorillaz' Damon Albarn has tapped two Mercury Prize nominees for his latest pursuit, straying from the usual album format. And we'll hear from Manchester's Layfullstop, Isle of Eigg's Pictish Trail, London's Smoke Fairies, adopted (and missed) New Yorker David Bowie, and Canada's Caribou too.
That's UKNY, Sunday nights from 11 p.m.-midnight on 90.7 and streaming online, also available after broadcast in the Weekend Archives.
1. Ghostpoet, “Concrete Pony,” I Grow Tired But Dare Not Fall Asleep
2. Bombay Bicycle Club, “I Worry Bout You,” Everything Else Has Gone Wrong
3. (Dundas, Ontario, CA) Caribou, “Never Come Back,” Suddenly
4. (Gothenburg, SE) Little Dragon, “Hold On,” New Me, Same Us
5. (France/Ghent, BE) Charlotte Adigéry, “Okashi,” Zandoli EP
6. Layfullstop, “Cherries,” Cherries EP
7. FKA Twigs, “fallen alien,” Magdalene
8. David Bowie, “I Can’t Read ’97,” David Bowie: Is It Any Wonder EP
9. Anna Calvi and Courtney Barnett, “Don’t Beat the Girl Out of My Boy,” Hunted
10. Pictish Trail, “Bad Algebra,” Thumb World
11. Gorillaz feat. Slowthai and Slaves, “Momentary Bliss,” Song Machine, Ep. 1
12. Smoke Fairies, “Chew Your Bones,” Darkness Brings the Wonders Home
13. Palace, “Running Wild,” Life After