Morning Brief: April 9
Today is the 99th day of the year… which made us think of a certain former Ranger. Times are good this season at MSG—with two games left in the regular season, the blushirts have secured the NHL’s best record and the President’s Trophy. The Rangers haven’t done that since 1994, meaning the Great One never won it with the team.
NEED TO KNOW
Who Was Walter Scott, [NBC News].
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is Guilty on All 30 Counts in Boston Marathon Bombing [NY Times].
Observatory at One World Trade Center Opens to Public May 29 [WFUV News via AP].
Indictments May be Near in George Washington Bridge Scandal [NY Times].
NYC Wants to Boost Funding for School Crossing Guards [WFUV News].
Yankees beat Toronto 4-3
Mets fell to Washington 2-1
Nets dropped one to Atlanta, 114-111
Knicks lost to Indiana 102-86
Mets play in Washington, 1:00
Yankees host Toronto, 7:00
Rangers host Ottawa, 7:00
Devils play Tampa Bay, 7:30
Wet again – a 40% chance of rain throughout the day—and cold! 46/43 [full forecast].
ON STAGE TONIGHT
• Al Stewart featuring Dave Nachmanoff @ the Towne Crier Café
• Joan Armatrading (with Starnes And Shah) @ the Ridgefield Playhouse
• The Wailers (with Karikatura) @ Brooklyn Bowl
• Amy Helm And The Handsome Strangers with William Bell and Catherine Russell @ City Winery
• The Mountain Goats (with Ides Of Gemini) @ Webster Hall
• Waxahatchee (with Girlpool, The Goodbye Party and DJs Jenn And Liz Pelly) @ the Music Hall of Williamsburg
• Zebra (with Mystic) @ the NYCB Theatre at Westbury
• Spyro Gyra @ the Fairfield Theatre Company’s StageOne
• Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock @ Carnegie Hall Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage
• Jolie Holland opens for Gregory Alan Isakov @ the Bowery Ballroom
• WFUV PRESENTS: Rhiannon Giddens with Bhi Bhiman @ Town Hall
TODAY IN HISTORY
On this day in 1991, Georgia declared independence from the Soviet Union
WFUV's Morning Brief is published each weekday morning at 5 a.m. Do you have an event or news item that should be included? Email JColtin@wfuvnews.org or leave a comment below.